сряда, 9 ноември 2011 г.

Maniac Butcher- Masakr 2010 Revisited


The hordes of black metal legions who are aligned with the old ways can rejoice in the triumphant return of legendary Czech warriors Maniac Butcher.  Much to my surprise, the Lords of horse and battle metal from Eastern Europe had returned in 2010 to deliver their seventh full length on an unsuspecting world.  It had been ten years since Maniac Butcher released Epitath- The Final Onslaught of Maniac Butcher.  And to be honest they had slipped off my radar after such a long silence.   I really have no excuse, as my co-writer here Janet Willis wrote a killer review the album  back in  2010 on this same website.  But I will claim I was likely on a beer fueled bender the fall of 2010 as Immolith opened for  Trident, and also Triptykon and 1349 in NYC.  So I submit to you that I missed the album release and it’s previous review here in a drunken black metal haze!  So with that in mind, in a moment of rare sobriety,  I still think this album a year after it’s release deserves my attention.  And now I intend to burden you all with my .02 cents.  Fortunately for me I frequent  Metalhit.com to purchase music and Masakr was featured as thier $4.99 album download of the week not long ago.  I instantly bought it and as I waited the minute or two for the download to complete I wondered if the ten years between albums would have changed Maniac Butcher.  Would this be the same band that wrote such legendary albums as Barbarians, and Lučan-Antikrist?     Well the answer is a resounding yes!   Such atmospheric old school black metal riffage and mid-paced thunderous drumming exists on Masakr,  that you would think it had been written in 1993.   What Maniac Butcher accomplishes on this album is a bold statement.  Manaic Butcher reminds the world that black metal does not have to be symphonic and technical with 300 bpm triggered double bass blast beats to be relevant and in this case colder and more skull crushing then most modern metal of any genre.   The band’s war cry of “no keyboards, no female vocals, only pure black metal!” is as true today as it was since the band’s first demo.  While the production on Masakr is by far the best production I’ve heard on any Maniac Butcher release, it does nothing to diminish the old school primitive grimness that just oozes from this album.  The quality production on Masakr proves that shitty production doesn’t automatically make black metal grim,  just as clean professional recordings don’t automatically make black metal sound fake and plastic.  It really comes down to the writing and composition.  And that is what Maniac Butcher excels at on Masakr.  So if you are fan of early, raw, primitive Black Metal that just pounds your senses do yourself a favor and get this album.  Hail Maniac Butcher!
                                                                   Coroner - Blasphemer - Barbarud - Infernal


                                                                           Maniac Butcher’s Official Website

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар